Do you participate in the familiar tradition of setting New Years resolutions? Do you find yourself setting the same goals year after year without much progress of moving forward? Typically how long does it take for the to fall to the way side? a few weeks, months or have you already given up?
I want to gently remind you about the basics to success in anything worth doing. Before you attempt to manifest great things, it’s important to set the stage for achieving those goals important to you. Imagine building a house with out a good, balanced foundation. It would be near impossible to do. The same thing applies to living a successful life. Regardless of the goals we set, it is important to first create a good foundation for which to manifest them. These are the basics which helps us maintain balance as we build our skyscrapers of success. Ask yourself how well you have been addressing the following foundational basics? Try rating yourself on a scale of 1-5, one being you haven’t even given it a thought and five being you consciously make sure you are getting what your body needs:
- Drinking plenty of water – It’s a well known fact our bodies are composed of a high percentage of water, yet many times we forget how important water intake is to our bodies. Not only does it help to flush out toxins, it maintain the fluids in our bodies to reduce joint pain, fatigue and supports weight loss.
- Food – Consider what you typically consume during your waking day. Have poor eating habits taken over? If you take in a great deal of processed foods, your body is likely starving for healthy nutrition. The brain cannot sustain clarity, focus and a high level of functioning on empty poor quality foods. Sometimes all it takes to shift your food intake is awareness. So how are you doing?
- Sleep – Without regular, deep sleep your body ages faster, holds on to and possibly increases the amount of fat you carry, and limits how well you can cope with stress and function day to day. This is also when your subconscious does some house cleaning. Your body needs this opportunity to regenerate itself back towards health. So establishing a regular sleep schedule is priceless.
- Exercise/Body movement – This doesn’t need to be a lot. Just finding something you enjoy doing to get your muscles moving and the oxygen flowing through your system. This promotes mental clarity, improved sleep, and assists in a greater sense of well being. So make sure to get up and stretch, literally and figuratively.
- Quiet time – Silence with oneself is another valuable commodity. Not only do we have other people to deal with, we have to cope with the internal chatter of our mind that never seems to get quiet on its own. When you are able to get to the silence, even for a moment, you will tap into the greatest guidance system of all…your intuition. The answers to your questions can be found there.
So how’d you do? Most of us could use a little more focused attention to at least a few of the above basics. That’s okay. This isn’t an exercise to give yourself an excuse to beat yourself up. It’s more about the opportunity to find out how you can support your foundation of self care in a more conscious way. What’s one thing you can start doing right now to improve your weakest area? Are you willing to do it? If so, leave a comment and let us know what you are going to do for yourself today?
Cheers to health and happiness!
Angela, The Goddess Next Door